Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Megaopoli & Diaspora

California is sending forth its best and brightest. The unspoken subtext is that the most productive segment of society are the ones that are moving. Who can blame them?

What's to attract top talent when the cost of living is so out of sync with pay? Davis ain't Boston. We looked at buying a place for my daughter to live in while attending the school of her choice. For about 15 seconds. $350/sf for the most modest of houses in Davis? Our local CSUCI "solved" this by getting into the real estate business with extensive planned developments preferential to faculty and staff with speculative caps on purchases.

As to "The OC." Unless you bought in a decade or more ago its got nothing. I mean really, you can't tell OC from SFV and except for 15 degrees the IE for that matter. They don't even grow oranges anymore fergawdsake. The OC is just another part of the teeming LA megaopolis. Ventura County might escape that fate if the housing bubble pop is large enough. Still, the traffic is miserable and there's no will to stop it from getting worse.

8 comments:

Bakersfield Bubble said...

Where does that leave us (you)?

I have a younger brother who took his 4.15 GPA and 1450 SAT scores and a degree from Cal Poly SLO to Seattle. Bye Bye Ca - Unless the home market tanks he won't be back.

Rob Dawg said...

Okay, a little personal background. Don't spread it around okay? I took my 1410 (1976 score) and my Boston. Cambridge and Worcester Massachusetts education and headed off to Kal-e-forni-ayh. Never loked back, never regretted a second of it. I'm talking about dropping off my thesis and riding a 400cc motorcycle with a promise of a degree and a 3piece suit and a tent. My mom didn't speak to my uncle Jimmy for years because he loaned me $250 for gas. Okay, it turned out alright, I'm a millionare and own a company and have a great family. Big deal. Timing and attention to detail. Nothing more.

My kids aren't gonna buy next door. To the left is $2.1, to the right is $2.8. NFW. Indeed, my eldest is likely to g o to either Davis or SLO and just as likely to follow your bro. Her GPA is 4+ as well. If only we can fool the admissions office with the last name being nonwhite nonasian we might even get a break.

incessant_din said...

I am seriously looking at taking my SAT 1440 (1994 score), UCLA BS+MS, technical engineering experienced self to another state.

There are still a few tricks up California's sleeve that can convince me to stay. There are a few other-than-metro areas that have unreal weather, dazzling scenery, and will nuture my next business step. Then again, I love the U.S. of A. and it is a BIG, BEAUTIFUL country.

I'm keeping my California secrets to myself for right now. These markets are small enough that a single SDCIA spy could take the information and turn a potential market peak into an inflection point.

Rob Dawg said...

It was such a disappointment to find out SLO had been picked over by the equity locusts. I'm looking forward to buying again in Wrightwood after all this blows over.

Bakersfield Bubble said...

In-laws live in SLO County. I visit often (no jokes please) and the market is soft, but still very overpriced. The north county has seen the greatest decrease in prices (Paso, Atascadero), however Avila, SLO and other Central/Southern county cities are only down a bit. They are so anti growth in SLO (city) I am not sure how much lower they will go.


Crispy&__________

surfer-x said...

Same old, same old.

Some stay, some go, others come from other places.

Betting against CA is a sucker bet.

incessant_din said...

Yes, Boeing and Lockheed proved that when they moved out.

Rob Dawg said...

And Huges and Kinkos and nearly a dozen Fortune 100 companies and GM and Ford and ...