Friday, March 28, 2008

Riverpark Unrest

One of the problems with massive ill considered development projects is the details. you know the little stuff the sales agent neglects to mention to the early buyers of $800,000 houses on postage stamp lots and $15,000 tax bills.

turns out last week ground was broken on one of those details.
Workers have already laid the foundations for 140 apartments and town homes in Oxnard's RiverPark development that will be home to more than 140 very-low and extremely-low-income families.
Now I knew this all along but apparently not the neighbors. Thay are a tad upset as seen in their comments:

I know what's in store... everything within a 2 mile radius being shot at, tagged, stolen or vandalized. Just wait until they, the new Paseo Del Rio's (PDRs), start fighting with the El Rio gangsters.

My tax dollars already provide these folks with free health care. They force many of the area schools to provide services for ESL instead of services that will prepare our most talented students for the next step in their education.

The [market] rent for a 1 bedroom is $1655.00/mo with garage. .... I would have been very angry if I leased then found out this news.
I understand and have no problem with people who need some temporary help. The ones I worry about are the people who are using the system and cheat the system. I wouldn't like it if I am paying 4 times the rent these people are and have them ruin the place.

And to think I was gonna buy in that area, 550k for a beautiful townhome. What's the deal with this city? Allthese brand new communities are turning into low income social housing units. ...I would be absolutely fired up if I paid half a million dollars for my place, knowing my nieghbor is paying about $1000 for rent. And $270 for a one bedroom? My homeowners premium isnt even that cheap. Thanks Oxnard for once again ruining what could of been a clean, crime free community.


Even people not caught up in the mess are victims:

Because of the 'sweetheart deal' City Council made with the developers, I will watch Downtown Oxnard dry up and blow away.


Read the Rest here.

8 comments:

Property Flopper said...

First, murst, moist... you get the picture.

Well, this is a good way to create more NIMBYs. If I'd just spent that much and found out I was about to be living in the new "planned ghetto", I'd be a bit pissed.

One of the big reasons I'm a fan of established communities. The other is I'm not a fan of new construction, the quality just isn't there - I'll take an old house any day.

Well, not to worry. The existing home owners can just chalk this up as a "learning experience". Either that or a nice "multicultural experience".

w said...

It is Oxnard. Home of the multiple family single family residence.

Unknown said...

I used to live in Oxnard - well, technically, in Ventura County on Hollywood Beach. After the Starbucks got held up and the pizza parlor had a knife fight after a Lakers game all within the same month (in the shopping center off Victoria & Channel Islands Blvd), I knew it was time to move. (My girlfriend reminded me frequently). And this was in a "nice" part of Oxnard.

w said...

I am having my doubts about Ventura now. Thinking it is better to raise the kids in Camarillo.

Rob Dawg said...

I used to live in a nice part of Oxnard as well. about a half mile from that center. And I moved to Camarillo. The elementaries are very good but I wouldn't send my kids to CamHigh. The other problem is this isn't the city of 13 years ago. The council has basically "gone Oxnard" on us. You have to be careful about exact specific location if you are thinking long term. But San Buenaventura. Now there's a disaster in the making. Cole and his minions are destroying that community from the inside.

w said...

You really don't like Camarillo High? I see the kids coming out of there and they are so much more clean cut than the losers outside of the Ventura High Schools.

Most of Ventura is a pit like many beach communities. Run down homes and lots of weirdos. Isolated bedroom communities. Isolated that is until you send your kids to school together. More gang memebers and their families accumulating in Ventura.

The debate for me is private school here or public school in Camarillo.

Rob Dawg said...

I send my kids to Rio Mesa. CamHigh is a wasteland of idle entitled under supervised teens. Still recall I said the lowe grades are really good.

YLSP said...

Nice post. You inspired something within me re: Camarillo City Council. I hope my blog can be as effective as this one.

Last year when we moved to Camarillo my wife was begging to buy... (Village at the Pork)... now she thanks me every day. I still hate being a renter. When I have a home we will go solar... it makes too much sense when its sunny for 250+ days out here.