Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Happy Daze

Events have been driving outlook here for far longer than I would have wished. I wanted to peek my head out in October and see my shadow. No luck. Worse,every time I turn around another dope slap moment knocks me back. This time it was my local FedEX. Great place; nearby, parking, competent staff. I stopped in without enough info to pre-delivery pick up a package the web told me was sitting there. Normally they'd be too busy to look without the tracking number. Toady; dead. D-e-a-d. The only people to come in were looking for jobs. They were told there was no season hiring. The counter guy implied that was best case. This time of year a week before Thanksgiving it should have been a Chinese fire drill with packages bulging out into the lobby. D-e-a-d.

7 comments:

Mr. Outspoken said...

DHL is down. Which will be the first private shipper to go, UPS, FedEx or USPS?

Property Flopper said...

I've a friend who works in the wine business, they handle shipping for a lot of wineries and/or wine clubs.

Virtually dead this year. Normally, they'd be backed up already and worried about getting it all out anywhere near x-mas. This year, they're not hiring any seasonal help and hoping to avoid layoffs before the new year.

Bleak.

Rob Dawg said...

United Parcel Service is in danger because of the union.

High value things like wine are in commodity bubbles. They just don't know it yet.

chickelit said...

Charles Shaw's Beaujolais Nouveau (2008) is selling out at my local TJ's.

It's actually not bad.

Rob Dawg said...

Really? Last year, 2007 was disappointing.

Property Flopper said...

Two buck chuck isn't bad (usually), but it is inconsistent. Two bottles from the same year, but different cases, can be wildly different.

They take whatever leftover juice they can find and use that. Many different sources for the same "vintage".

Mrs. Flopper won't touch it though, she prefers a nice Zin - and we've got a large collection of them in the basement, slowly aging.

segfault said...

Unfortunately, I don't have a TJ's nearby, but the Two Buck Chuck I've tried was all right. Also, I can't get mail-order alcohol in my state, which also sucks. I've found the Black Box Wines to be decent, especially if you want to be able to have a glass or two after dinner every night without breaking the bank.